The MSIX Packaging Tool is now available from the Microsoft Store. MSIX is Microsoft’s planned replacement for the MSI and AppX format. Starting with Windows 10 1809, MSIX will replace AppX as a Package-Format completely.
MSI + AppX = MSIX
Benefits of MSIX Packaging
- Enables us to update existing win32 application packages to the MSIX format
- We can run desktop installers through this tool and obtain in MSIX package that can be installed on the machine and also can be uploaded to the Microsoft Store
- It is aimed as a common packaging for both Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps and Win32 apps
- Supported on Windows, iOS, Android, MacOS, and Linux
- Desktop Bridge apps will have 100 percent compatibility with MSIX
- Migrate MSI/App-V/Setup.exe/Script.vbs/ClickOnce apps into MSIX without compromise with functionality or application behavior
- Customize packages, add additional code to make it compatible with Modern look and feel
- Clean uninstallation
- All the apps are installed on per-user bases. However, for enterprises that use shared PC’s, Microsoft is working on a mechanism where every user can get the update
- Microsoft has taken the best features of Setup.exe, MIS, Windows ClickOne, App-V & Script.vbs and put them into MSIX
Pre-Requisites for MSIX Packaging
Enable “Developer Mode”
Create Self Signed Certificate
Use below PowerShell cmdlet to create a new certificate.
New-SelfSignedCertificate -Type Custom -Subject “CN=Contoso Software, O=Contoso Corporation, C=US” -KeyUsage DigitalSignature -FriendlyName <Your Friendly Name> -CertStoreLocation “Cert:\LocalMachine\My”
Example: New-SelfSignedCertificate -Type Custom -Subject “CN=Netrix, O=Netrix, C=US” -KeyUsage DigitalSignature -FriendlyName Netrix-MSIX -CertStoreLocation “Cert:\LocalMachine\My”
Export the certificate that we register for the users to whom the application would be deployed.
$pwd = ConvertTo-SecureString – String Netrix 123 – Force – AsPlainText
Export-PfxCertificate -cert “Cert:\LocalMachine\My\<Certificate Thumbprint>” -FilePath Netrix_WSP.pfx -Password $pwd
Installation of MSIX Packaging Tool
Go to > Microsoft Store
Post-installation of MSIX Packaging Tool, REBOOT the machine before launching it.
Create A Sample Package
Create sample package 7-zip, below are the steps:
Launch MSIX Packaging Tool from Start Menu
Select Installer and provide certificate path, and click “Next”
Choose “create package on this computer,” then “Next”
Installer will start installation, choose the installation option and finish it
Once installation is complete, click “Next”
If there is any post-installation configuration, right click on shortcut and click “Run”
Once configuration is complete, click “Yes, move on”
Specify the package location and click “Create”
The screen below will appear, which shows a successfully created MSIX Package
For additional help and support with Microsoft integrations, please contact us today!